Coconut Milk - OBSESSED!

Do you LOVE milk?  I never have.  Even as a child.  I know I need calcium for my skinny bones so I continue on my quest to find a milk that I enjoy.

I've tried Almond Milk, and Soy Milk.  This week I tried Coconut Milk.  I have always loved the taste of the milk as it flows from a fresh coconut so I thought I would try it. 

I am now obsessed with my new coconut milk.  It is so tasty and smooth.  If any of you have any pros or cons, I would love to hear from you.  I have not tried cooking / baking with it yet.  I also have not tried putting chocolate syrup in it, but I'm sure I will this weekend!!  Hmm. . . I'm thinking a glass of it would be great right now with this piece of pound cake I am eating.

Here are some advantages I found online that I thought I would share with you.  Since I am trying to GAIN weight, I was not happy to see "aids in weight loss" on the list, however some of you will be happy to see that I'm sure!

Benefits of coconut milk

Higher in calcium than regular milk and almond milk.

Nutrient Rich : Coconut milk is rich in a wide range of minerals and vitamins. It contains iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium, and also the following important vitamins: C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6. Coconut milk is also a good source of protein.

Boost immune system : Half the medium-chain fatty acids in coconut milk are composed of lauric acid, which is anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-microbial and anti-fungal thus strengthening the immune system.

Weight Loss : The saturated fat in coconut is made up of short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids which the body quickly turns into energy instead of storing as fat. Therefore, even though it’s high in saturated fat, coconut can aid in weight loss. No wonder it’s the number one recommended milk for protein shakes. It is also said to boost metabolism.Coconut milk makes you feel full very quickly because of high concentrations of dietary fiber.

Relaxes muscles and nerves: Rich in magnesium which can help relive and ease cramps, muscle pulls and muscle soreness.

Aids in Digestion : Coconut milk contains beneficial substances that allow the stomach to digest food properly. Due to the high content of lauric acid, coconut milk is anti-bacterial and it kills off bad bacteria in the stomach that can cause you to not digest food properly. So adding coconut milk to your diet will help with digestion.

Dairy Free, Nut Free and Vegan : Coconut milk is a dairy-free alternative for those who are lactose intolerant or allergic to nuts. This vegan drink is also soy-free and gluten-free.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, I adore coconut milk also but had no idea of all those wonderful benefits!
mary x

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake