Stuffed Pumpkin and Chicken Pot Pie

I have been dying to try the stuffed pumpkin in Dorie Greenspan's book Around My French Table ever since I got the book.  This week I jumped in and did it.  I bought a small pumpkin, scooped out the insides, inserted the stuffing, and baked for a little over an hour.  We loved it.  I am going to make another one though and this time I am going to put in some brown sugar, cranraisens, and nuts.  I think it needed the sweetness those items can provide. 

This one just had bread chunks, cream, fresh rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper.  I think you could put just about anything in there you wanted.  I quickly took photos, but you can put the entire pumpkin on a round platter and serve it right at the table.  It slices nicely and is just such a cute way to serve fresh pumpkin!  These photos do not look very appetizing, but I promise you it was delicious!


My neighbor just had pancreatic cancer surgery so I thought I would whip her up a casserole of some kind. I have been making this chicken pot pie for 30 years. It is the easiest thing to make and so delicious.  She is doing really well from her surgery.


First, I cooked some chicken breasts and chopped that up.  Then I used a store bought piecrust (I like Pet Ritz) found in the dairy section.  I put one of the crusts on the bottom of my pan and save the other to top it off.  Put the chopped chicken down in the bottom.  Top that with a can of drained Vegall, then a can of cream of celery soup, a touch of sour cream (optional) and top with the other pie crust.  Dollop butter on top and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until crust is lightly brown.  Even children love this dish.

Have a great weekend!

Comments

Kayte said…
Wow, you have been busy...all of it looks delicious, even the pumpkin thing...would be fun to get served dinner in a little pumpkin! Chicken Pot Pie is one of my big weaknesses, I can never have it too often and I don't make it near often enough. YUM!
Anonymous said…
Wow! It looks great. I'm nervous about making this pumpkin myself. I'll have to remember the brown sugar tip!
Cakelaw said…
Wow, I think your pumpkin looks amazing! I am scared of making it for FFWD this month, but you have inspired me to give it a go. What a lovely pot pie and a thoughtful gift.
Pamela said…
The pumpkin looks ANC sounds delicious! Gotta try it. And the pot pie? Perfect fall food and perfect dish to share. Hope your friend is doing okay. :)
Cindy said…
I do love chicken pot pie. What a comfort food! Looks yummy.

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake