My Kitchen My World - Visiting Canada!

I love being in this group!  We get to visit a different country each month.  For August, we traveled to Canada.  I researched Canadian traditional foods and the one that I kept finding over and over was poutine - basically french fries topped cheese curds and then smothered with gravy.  It may be the most delicious side dish there is, but for some reason it did not appeal to me on this day.  Maybe tomorrow...

I chose Pork Chops with Apples.  Having only had a half bag of popcorn for lunch today, I was ready for something really substantial.  These were very easy to cook and I have to say, they were delicious!  I served a creamy corn soup, Potage de ble, as an appetizer.  I left off the celery and the leek, however, and added a touch of cilantro for flavor.  I also cheated a bit and used frozen corn.  It was pretty good, but I'm not a huge corn fan, that is unless it is fresh corn on the cob grilled to perfection in which case I will be the first in line!  Chandler said the pork chops were sooo good that once he tasted those, he quickly forgot the soup.  I heartily recommend these chops - especially on a busy weeknight.

As most of you know, we just returned from Dallas where we were blessed with our first grandbaby.  We were able to spend a few days holding her, and we hated to leave her, but. . .work and other obligations were calling me back home unfortunately!   They will be here for Thanksgiving so I guess it doesn't need to be said that it will be a long three months waiting to see her again.  I fell in love instantly when I saw that pretty little face!!

Here are the recipes for my virtual trip to Canada!  I can't wait to see what everyone else in the group chose this month.  Check out the website for more recipes!  http://mykitchenmyworld.blogspot.com/

Apple Pork Chops

6 Pork chops
Pork chop fat or oil
2 ts Butter
-salt and pepper to taste
3 Apples-unpeeled with cores
1 ts Sugar
Cinnamon
Cook the chops using melted fat trimmed from the meat and 1 tsp butter.
(Note those concerned about their fat intake may chose to use corn oil or
some other vegetable oil rather than the pork fat). Season to taste and set
on hot platter. Keep warm. Slice the apples 1/2" thick and add to the pan
with 1 tsp butter, the sugar and a few pinches of cinnamon or cloves. Cook
over medium heat for about 10 minutes, turning once or twice until some of
apples are browned. Arrange them around the chops and serve. Serves: 4-6
To quote Mme. Benoit, "The apples keep the chops moist and tender. I
sometimes use 6 to 7 apples, then I use 1 Tablespoon sugar. Serve very
hot."

Source" _The Canadiana Cookbook_ by Mme. Jehane Benoit
Potage de ble ( Corn Soup)

2 c -Water
2 c Milk
4 c Corn kernels; fresh
-frozen may be used if out
-of season
1 ts -Salt
2 tb Butter
1/3 c Celery; chopped
1/4 c Onion; chopped
1/4 c Leek; chopped, white part only
2 tb Flour
1/2 c Whipping cream
-Salt & ground black pepper
This fresh corn soup from Renard Jacques, chef at Auberge Benedict Arnold
in St. Georges is rich and creamy. It may be made with frozen or canned
corn kernels, but it won't have the same delicate sweetness.
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add milk, corn and salt; cook
just until corn is tender. Strain cooking liquid into a bowl and set corn
aside. Heat butter in same saucepan and sauté celery, onion and leek until
softened. Blend in flour; cook until bubbly. Stir in reserved corn
cooking liquid. Bring to a boil, then partially cover and let simmer for
15 to 20 minutes.
Place corn and liquid in food processor or blender and puree in batches
until smooth. Return to saucepan and add cream. Adjust seasonings with
salt and pepper to taste. Reheat until piping hot.
SERVES: 4-6


Comments

Kayte said…
Oh, she is so adorable...okay, I know I am supposed to be here for the food, but I can't stop looking at her...she is so cute! I have boys so I am hoping I have at least one girl grandbaby...you are so lucky!! Your pork chops and soup look very good...my mouth is watering at just the thought of each of them. Great choices. I am dying to see someone make those cheese curds, fries, and gravy thing you spoke about...what one earth does that look and taste like??? Sounds so bizarre, but maybe sometime I will try it just because I know the guys here will eat anything! Especially anything involving fries! Great job...can't wait to find out where we go next month. Love having you in this group with me.
Anonymous said…
I am absolutely thrilled for all of you. Should we call you, "Grandma Peggy"?

Ours is a girl, also. She has a sister so she doesn't need all those beautiful little girl clothing.+

I don't need to tell you adorable she is. All, I need to do is look at those photos and I know that the everyone seeing them, knows she is wonderful and adorable. She also has pinchable cheeks. Keep the pinchers away.

Make sure your kids send you photos through the email so you have them immediately. You can watch all the changes that take place.

All, I can tell you, as an experience grandma, is we have the privilege to enjoy every moment and no, it is no fun, when they go home.

Congratulations.
TeaLady said…
She has so much hair!! Teagan is still bald. So Cute!!!

Pork Chops look delicious. And the soup sounds good. It was hard to choose for Canada like it was for USA, but you did a good job.

Congrats again on your beautiful new granddaughter!!
Anonymous said…
The pork chops and soup both look delicious! This really is a fun group, and I'm looking forward to next month.

Congratulations on your granddaughter! She is adorable!

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake