TWD - Buttery Jam Cookies!

I'm in love - with a cookie. I prefer not-too-sweet chewy cookies and that is exactly what these are. Additionally, they were incredibly easy to make. And in the middle of the season, with plenty going on already, easy was so nice.

Thanks to Heather of Randomosity and the Girl by Heather for choosing this recipe. Check out her site for the recipe.

I had two tiny substitutions. First, I sent the yankee to the store to get apricot jam. Of course I get the expected phone call from him saying they did not have apricot jam. So instead we went for spreadable fruit. It worked fine. I am beginning to think this city is lacking in the grocery department. (Not my favorite Publix of course). Second, I had ginger in my pantry. But when I pulled it out to put in the cookies, I discovered there is ginger and then there is ginger. My ginger was a version you use in meats. (Could I be wrong about this?) So rather than go back to the store, I used pumpkin pie spice (which had ginger in it) in the cookies and it worked great.

Years ago, someone gave me a melon baller for a wedding present. Yes, you heard me right. Well I have never used it, having never had a need to make balls out of melon. However, I decided to try that to accurately measure my dough for the cookies and it worked so well I will be using it from now on. The dough came out of the melon baller with such ease! Each cookie was perfectly formed. I felt like Columbus making a new discovery!
The baking cookies filled my house with a wonderful buttery cinnamon smell that just made me feel like Christmas!
And now, the kitchen is finally just about finished. Note the new countertop space! Note the new sink and faucet. Note the new cabinets with glass in the doors. The grout on the floor has some issues which is one thing we will have to work on later. But for now, the house is back in order and clean again! Even managed to finally get my tree up and a few presents purchased!

I am so blessed. Life is good. . . .

Comments

Engineer Baker said…
Wait, ginger just for meat? I'm pretty sure there's no such thing... But kudos on the use of the melon baller - very creative! Glad you liked the cookies so much.
Great job. I think that your kitchen looks beautiful!
Great looking cookies! The kitchen looks great too!
Di said…
The kitchen looks great! And I love scooping cookies--once you try it, you can never go back to spoons. =)
Cathy said…
Your kitchen looks spectacular, Peggy! I bet it is fun to cook in! And nice discovery about the melon baller -- maybe I could cross "cookie scooper" off my list and use that instead! Your cookies really do look perfect! Oh, and don't even get me started on the grocery stores around here. The fact that I can never seem to get everything I need at one stop is beginning to make me a little bit insane.
chocolatechic said…
Whooooo Hoooooo on the new kitchen.

I loved these cookies.
Maria said…
Love your kitchen and the cookies look perfect!
Aggie said…
I'm hearing such great things about these cookies!! Your kitchen looks beautiful! I love your tile floor too!
The Blonde Duck said…
Those look delicous! Yum!
Shelby said…
I think ginger is ginger....and you use the same thing when making asian dishes (meat dishes) as when baking.

We loved these cookies also!
AmyRuth said…
Ah, at last your beautiful kitchen. Good job on the cookies. They really look pretty on your table. I liked the apricot, but then its a favorite. So glad you liked them too. Merry Christmas
AmyRuth
Julie said…
The kitchen looks awesome!! I've been wondering if a melon baller would indeed work to scoop cookie dough - now I supposed I should invest in one!
NKP said…
I have the scoops in 3 sizes, they are great for cookies and muffins.
Glad you loved the cookies, I am loving your kitchen/dining room!
Pamela said…
The kitchen looks great! So clean and neat! Nice job on the cookies. Easy is nice, isn't it? Glad you liked 'em!
Teanna DiMicco said…
How gorgeous is that new kitchen! A perfect place to eat those gorgeous cookies (over the sink, of course!) Congratulations!
Leslie said…
I love your sub of pumpkin pie spice for the ginger! Brilliant! And your kitchen is BEAUTIFUL!! I bet you're loving it, especially the expanded space.
Anonymous said…
Your kitchen looks great. I scooped my cookies but then I squashed them a bit because some of mine didn't spread.
Heather B said…
I'm glad you liked them! Your kitchen looks fabulous!
Shari said…
The kitchen looks lovely! Using pumpkin pie spice is a great idea!
LyB said…
I loved these too, they were so easy and delicious. So many possibilities too! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Ina Garten's Deviled Eggs!

TWD - Steph’s Bakewell Tart

TWD - Brown Sugar Bundt Cake